- Managing Nasturtiums: Controlling Spread and Maximizing Benefits - September 23, 2023
- How To Know if Nasturtium Seeds Are Viable - September 23, 2023
- Will a Mandevilla Come Back After a Freeze? - September 22, 2023
Is there an area in your home you’d like to liven up with plants but don’t have the floor space? Giant fuchsias can turn the drabbest balconies, patios, and living spaces into a riot of color and texture! But keeping these flowers off the ground can be challenging.
You can fit three giant fuchsias in a nine-inch hanging basket, four in a 12-inch basket, and five in a 16-inch basket. The amount of giant fuchsias you can fit in a hanging basket depends on the variety. Some varieties need more room to grow, while others crawl and occupy less space in the pot.
In this article, I walk you through a simple hanging basket-size guide for giant fuchsias. You’ll also see a list of plants I suggest for each area you want to brighten with these gorgeous blooms!
Giant Fuchsias in Hanging Baskets Size Guide
Few plants can compete with giant fuchsias. But with so many different varieties, it can be tricky to choose the right hanging basket. To help you, I’ve compiled a size guide below.
- 9″ (22 cm) Basket: You can fit up to three giant fuchsias in a 9″ hanging basket. Place them in a triangular shape.
- 12″ (30 cm) Basket: If you plant three fuchsias around the edges and one in the middle, you can fit four plants in a 12″ hanging basket.
- 16″ (40 cm) Basket: You can plant four fuchsias around the edges and one in the middle if you have a 16″ planting basket, a total of five plants.
Note: This size guide applies to upright, trailing, and semi-trailing fuchsias.
The Best Giant Fuchsias for Different Spaces
The Best Giant Fuchsias for Patios
There are several options if you’re looking for giant fuchsias that will make a statement on your patio. Here are some I consider the best.
- Fuchsia Bicentennial: This giant fuchsia produces large flowers in dark and light pink shades. It has a long blooming period and prefers partial shade, making it an ideal choice for patios. This plant is also known for its disease resistance, making it a low-maintenance option for patio gardening.
- Fuchsia Annabel: If you want a flower that will adorn your patio with white from early summer to fall, the fuchsia annabel is it! This plant prefers partial shade and well-drained soil. It is hardy and can withstand drought and disease (source). The fuchsia annabel is a bushy, upright plant perfect for low-maintenance patios.
- Fuchsia Blacky: As the name suggests, this fuchsia has a large, black flower surrounded by deep purple petals. It has a long summer bloom and prefers partial shade. You can choose this plant for a hanging basket on your patio if you want something hardy and low-maintenance.
The Best Giant Fuchsias for Indoor Areas
Giant fuchsias are a stunning addition to any indoor area when it hangs in baskets. It will bring color and life to any home or office. If you’re looking for the best fuchsia to grow indoors, choose one of my top picks.
- Fuchsia Dark Eyes: If you want an attention-grabbing flower, this giant fuchsia in shades of purple and red is perfect. It is a compact plant and well-suited for indoor growing conditions. This plant blooms from early summer and prefers bright, indirect light.
- Fuchsia Autumnale: This fuchsia is a vibrant annual plant known for its colorful foliage. It’s hardy and can tolerate various indoor growing conditions, including low light. Fuchsia autumnale is also easy to care for.
- Fuchsia Baby Chang: This half-hardy free flowering plant is perfect for indoor areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms. It produces vibrant orange-red flowers hanging from deep green leaves. You can hang Baby Chang fuchsias in low-light corners.
The Best Giant Fuchsias for Bright Gardens
Giant fuchsias are an excellent choice for bright gardens. Their bold, colorful blooms will stand out against lush green foliage. Consider these if you’re looking for the best giant fuchsias for your sunny garden.
- Fuchsia Dollar Princess: This giant fuchsia is one of the few that is cold-hardy. It is a bushy, upright plant you can hang from baskets around your garden. It will tolerate full sun but prefers shade. The dollar princess fuchsia is easy to care for and blooms from planting to frost.
- Fuchsia Garden News: The magenta-pink flowers of this giant fuchsia are outdoors-hardy and ideal for bright gardens. You can plant it in hanging baskets in full sun. This plant is heat-tolerant and blooms from early summer.
The Best Hanging Baskets for Fuchsias
Here are some things to remember when choosing wire baskets, wicker baskets, plastic baskets, and pouches for your giant fuchsias.
- Wire baskets. Wire baskets are a popular choice for fuchsias because their make allows for excellent drainage. The gaps also ensure excess water is carted away by evaporation and wind, so your fuchsias are never overwatered. Wire baskets are not heavy, making them ideal for hanging.
- Wicker baskets. Wicker baskets are a stylish and decorative option for fuchsias. They add a natural, rustic feel to your displays. These baskets also come in various sizes and shapes to suit your needs.
- Plastic baskets. Plastic baskets are another good option for fuchsias. They are lightweight, durable, and available in different colors and styles, so you can hang them anywhere. You can also choose between various designs to add visual interest to your hanging displays.
- Hanging Pouches. Hanging pouches are an excellent option for fuchsias. They provide good drainage and air circulation. Pouches are also a good choice if you have limited space since you can easily hang them from a small hook or railing.
Fuchsias are beautiful and rewarding plants to grow. While they require care and attention to thrive, you can enjoy their stunning blooms with little maintenance. When choosing the right hanging basket for your fuchsias, it’s important to consider the weight and size of the basket. You should also ensure the baskets have good drainage.
With the right hanging basket, you can create stunning displays throughout the growing season, so choose carefully!