Gardening is becoming more popular each year, but, as it happens when things become trendy, not everyone understands the responsibility that comes with it. Still, gardening can be easy if you know what you’re doing. Many people have raised garden beds, but you might wonder if you need to put a fence around them.
You need a fence around your raised garden beds if you have an animal problem. Animals such as rabbits and mice may get into your garden and eat your plants. However, if there aren’t any wild animals in your area, you probably won’t need a fence around your raised garden beds.
In this article, I will discuss why a fence benefits a raised garden and how to have a thriving raised garden.
Check out the DynaTrap Mosquito & Flying Insect Trap – Kills Mosquitoes, Flies, Wasps, Gnats, & Other Flying Insects – Protects up to 1/2 Acre (link to Amazon).
Putting a Fence Around Your Raised Garden
Putting a fence around your raised garden is a great way to keep animals out. Rabbits, voles, and mice might want to dig around in your garden for meal time. Depending on where you live, you may even find some deer wishing to do the same thing.
If animals get into your garden, it could cause a lot of damage and ruin it completely. After all the time and money you’ve spent on it, you don’t want this to happen. In addition to protection, a fence around your garden can make it look more appealing.
Here is a list of some animals that may be destroying your garden:
Most of the animals listed are on the small or short side. If you’re only trying to keep out these small animals, you’ll need a fence about two-three feet high.
However, if you’re dealing with taller deer who can jump over things, you’ll need a fence about five to eight feet high to keep them out.
Types of Fences You Can Put Around Your Raised Garden
You can use several fencing materials to fence your raised garden. All of these can keep animals out, so it just depends on the kind of look you like best and the upkeep that you want to deal with.
- Wood: A wood fence is probably what comes to mind when you picture a fence. A wood fence is the most common type for gardens and backyards. There is a wide variety of woods you can choose from, and a wood fence can always be painted any color you want.
- Steel or Aluminum: If you want a more rustic look, you can have a steel or aluminum fence around your garden. You can leave the metal on its own if that’s what you’re going for, but it can also be painted to your liking.
- Vinyl: Vinyl fencing is always a great choice because it can last and look great for many years. Vinyl is also very affordable, making it a common choice (source).
In addition to the material choice, you’ll also want to pick a style of fence that matches your aesthetic.
Here are some popular options:
- Picket Fencing. A more traditional-looking fence.
- Roman Fencing. Has final-topped posts.
- Gothic fencing. It’s made from metal and resembles architecture from the middle ages.
- French Gothic Fencing. Wood fences with pickets shaped like arrowheads.
- Convex fencing. Made with arched panels.
- Stockade Fencing. These have rounded boards that are also pointy at the top.
Here are some fencing products that are great options for shorter fences:
If you’re looking for a vinyl picket fence, then go for the Zippity Vinyl Picket Fence (link to Amazon). This one is almost 3 feet (0.9 meters) tall and comes ready to install without having to paint.
The Sorbus: Garden Fence (link to Amazon) is an excellent choice for a metal fence. This iron fencing comes ready to install. All you have to do is connect each piece and stick it to the ground. This fencing also comes with a design that makes it more personalized than just iron beams.
If a wooden fence is what you’re looking for, then the Worth: Garden Wood Short Fence (link to Amazon) will be an excellent choice. This fencing looks like wooden steaks but is attached by thin wiring. It’s a great wooden fence look and stands about a foot in height.
For a taller fence to keep deer out, you’ll need to go to a local hardware store to get the necessary materials, as they are much harder to ship.
Fencing Protects Against Wind
In addition to keeping animals out, a small fence around your garden can help protect against strong wind. A big storm with powerful wind can knock over your plants and cause issues.
The wind can also cause the plants to pull and tug at their roots, causing long-term damage.
The wind can cause roots not to be grounded in the soil, which will impede their ability to soak up water. This issue will eventually lead to the death of the plant.
If you get a fence around your garden, it will block a good bit of the wind coming through, and your plants should be able to remain safely in the ground.
A fence can protect your garden in several ways. The primary protection it will serve is keeping out animals that want to dig or eat the plants in your garden. Animals can ruin your garden if you don’t do anything to stop them.
Usually, a fence that is 2 to 3 feet tall will do the trick.
You can get wood, metal, and vinyl fencing in a style that will fit your preferences. Not only does fencing keep animals out, but it also protects against strong winds that can damage the plants in your garden.
- How Deep Should Open-Bottom Raised Beds Be?
- 7 Best Wood Options For Raised Gardens (And 3 To Avoid)
- Growing Fruit Trees in Raised Beds: Everything You Need to Know